When women consider the progress in advancing our status in society the very questions should be, not necessarily in this order;
1. why is this a question at all?
2. why are we not valued sufficiently as to merit equal standing?
3. why and how are we responsible for men raping us when we are clothed in whatever mode?
4. why and how are we responsible for men beating us?
5. why are the attitudes still sanctioned by religions and their "male" leaders?
6. why are the attitudes still sanctioned by governments in secular society?
7. why in predominantly female vocations are men more highly valued and paid?
8. why are female traits inferior?
9. why is motherhood undervalued?
10. why and how and when is it ever OK for men to dictate what women choose govern the sovereignty of women's bodies?
11. why do I earn so much less that my male colleagues who do exactly the same job?
Really just bloody WHY?
And I have absolutely no doubt that there are many many others to be posited so please feel free to expand on mine.